Live Update

How do you feel about Gun Control?

Brett

Gun Control  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Which option for Gun Control do you prefer?

• Option 1
    • Option 2
    • Option 3
    • Other (State opinion in reply)

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  749

Gun control has always been a contentious issue in communities, and we want to hear what you think. I'll just give you a brief overview of the situation. The United States Supreme Court has just abolished the idea of "may issue," for Concealed Carry Weapon Licenses. What this means, is that it is now ICly illegal to have mandate that for someone to get a CCW license to carry a weapon around the streets for their IC reason for doing so. Meaning that the only restrictions that can be done on the IC level is checking their criminal backgrounds, age limits, restrictions on carrying in certain area, and objective criteria such as this. This means that it will be even easier then ever before on any community to receive a legal firearm.

There are a few ways to respond to this development;

Option 1: Allow the ruling to ICly exist and just go laissez faire which will lead to a ton of legal roleplayers getting access to CCW's and just let whatever happens happens.

Option 2: Allow the ruling to ICly exist, but put OOC restrictions such as character hours, limits on how many can be bought within a timeframe, etc slowing the access. 

Option 3: Disallow the ruling to ICly exist, going back to "may issue," where IC requirements for reasoning can be issued and people can be disallowed from it on an IC point of view.

My question I'm wanting to ask you and I will even put a poll up, but how would you as the community like to see the gun laws/ooc restrictions of gun laws on this server? Please vote and/or put your opinion in the replies. 

• Like 2

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  273

Gonna be 3 for me personally, the only reason for that is, the less ‘approved’ ccws about, the less legal firearms floating ‘to an extent’ 

if there is no restrictions on who can buy a gun, what’s the need for the illegal arms operations. Sure they can still be useful to source higher end arms, but the pistols and basic weapons like that, will be obsolete. Just my 2 cents. Il settle with whatever 

• Like 1

4DcWtjM.png

• Content Count:  258

Tbh any "Federal Level" laws/rulings should be state level server-wise to easily adapt to whatever problems we may find ourselves stumbling upon, eventually we mimic reality and sometimes things are exaggerated that adding new laws that doesn't exist IRL in the same setting is usually the option.

• Content Count:  101

Option 2 or 3 sound like a great solution.

Option 1 will make the server a shitfest of vigilantes and CCW warriors.

• Like 1

I have long left the community and am no longer affiliated with LCRP, its factions or its services.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  44

Sigh.

I remember a year ago, one of this server's selling points was that it was going to be different than other RP servers. That it'd be more realistic, immersive, and player-oriented; and that the owner's specifically stated that the goal was less admin oversight.

Yet, closer to launch, here we are talking about OOC restrictions on people getting guns. Needless to say, I'm incredibly disappointed.

Option A isn't the best option imo, but the only one. The United States has a gun problem. There are way too many guns in the US. Portraying the gun epidemic, and the war on guns (and drugs) is an integral part of not only good criminal roleplay, but good police and political roleplay. OOC'ly restricting their sale in any way is a terrible idea. It's also equally stupid that you need a specific reason to buy a gun. Which is why the Supreme Court struck it down...but I'll try to avoid any more real life politics talk.

Shall-issue is fine. May-issue is silly. Option 1 is the best; Option 3 is an okay alternative, and Option 2 should be deleted, just to be completely frank.

Fun fact, if 90 percent of the LC-RP population owns a gun; the guns-per-person rate in Liberty City would actually be LOWER than the real life national guns-per-person rate.

• Insightful 1

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  29

1 hour ago, Brett said:

My question I'm wanting to ask you and I will even put a poll up, but how would you as the community like to see the gun laws/ooc restrictions of gun laws on this server? 

Firstly, please, please let us be able own semi automatic rifles with a 10 or 20 round magazine limit. Firearms play a huge role in most of my characters lives as they are a great hobby to have and having access to something other than a handgun or a pump shotgun would be a blessing. Obviously some attachments should be allowed for these firearms too like weapon lights, grips, dog sights or even magnified scopes. Not sure of the laws in NY 100% about the legality of these firearms and their attachments, but I think it would be something very cool to see here.

As far as OOC restrictions go and I am sure not everyone is going to agree with me, but I believe firearms license holders should not be able to drop or give their firearms to other players, like at all, unless it's to another legal license holder. I think this would stop a ton of any potential abuse surrounding these tools. Character hours and limit on how many firearms you can buy should not be limited in my very own opinion.

Regarding CCWs, I would go with what the Supreme Court had just recently put out, so are you going to see more people carrying their firearms around? Most definitely. Character portrayal issues and other concerns surrounding all that should be reported on an individual basis.

edit: apologizes if what I am saying doesn't make much sense I am writing this on my phone and am extremely tired

KnowUnloreModding.png

• Content Count:  41

24 minutes ago, NickyW said:

Sigh.

I remember a year ago, one of this server's selling points was that it was going to be different than other RP servers. That it'd be more realistic, immersive, and player-oriented; and that the owner's specifically stated that the goal was less admin oversight.

Yet, closer to launch, here we are talking about OOC restrictions on people getting guns. Needless to say, I'm incredibly disappointed.

Option A isn't the best option imo, but the only one. The United States has a gun problem. There are way too many guns in the US. Portraying the gun epidemic, and the war on guns (and drugs) is an integral part of not only good criminal roleplay, but good police and political roleplay. OOC'ly restricting their sale in any way is a terrible idea. It's also equally stupid that you need a specific reason to buy a gun. Which is why the Supreme Court struck it down...but I'll try to avoid any more real life politics talk.

Shall-issue is fine. May-issue is silly. Option 1 is the best; Option 3 is an okay alternative, and Option 2 should be deleted, just to be completely frank.

Fun fact, if 90 percent of the LC-RP population owns a gun; the guns-per-person rate in Liberty City would actually be LOWER than the real life national guns-per-person rate.

I can understand wanting to have no restrictions, but personally I feel option two is the better option. Those who in-character meet the requirements can get a permit and carry without needing a CCW. However, don't you feel some OOC restrictions are necessary? Don't you think it's a bad idea to let every player, even someone who just stepped foot on the server the ability to go right away and a buy a gun? This would be the only kind of OOC restriction necessary in my opinion. Any gun purchase limits on quantity can certainly be handled in character. Also, do you not feel that having no restrictions on legal firearms would hurt the illegal firearm trade?

• Insightful 1

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  181

I feel it would be best to wait and see how this plays out in the end for New York as they seem to be disputing the Supreme Court ruling and then debate based on that situation. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/24/us/state-gun-laws-permits.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/23/nyregion/hochul-new-york-gun-law-supreme-court.html 

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/could-all-of-new-york-city-be-designated-a-gun-free-zone/3747911/

• Like 2

• Content Count:  258

1 hour ago, Brett said:

My question I'm wanting to ask you and I will even put a poll up, but how would you as the community like to see the gun laws/ooc restrictions of gun laws on this server? Please vote and/or put your opinion in the replies. 

I'm no fan of OOC restrictions when we can avoid them but if guns are easily accessible to everyone in a legal manner you'll see all form of low quality criminals getting their hands on as many legal firearms to stash as possible so a restriction is needed whether in a form of IC one (1-3 weapons of different calibers per citizen/player as an example), some may even go the extra mile of getting friends/alts to get as many legal firearms as humanely possible to re-sell illegally, or OOCly restricting people from doing certain things with legally obtained firearms that may be deemed as a form of low quality roleplay.

At the end of the day we need to look back and realize it's a game where we mimic reality as much as we can but we can deduce from many current and past communities that the guns epidemic is always exaggerated within GTA Roleplay communities even if legal firearms aren't as easily accessible as they are IRL. 

Common sense would dictate an OOC restriction disallowing players from redistributing legal weaponry unless the administration team deems such roleplay healthy to the server, IMO it can be an entertaining aspect if players with the IC know hows and the right equipment can erase a weapon's identification for illegal redistribution as it'll give LEO factions something to investigate from time to time, personally I'm conflicted as there's pros and cons to everything so a poll to see how the community would feel about restrictions the administration team might put in place would be a wise thing to have. 

And I reiterate my previous sentiment about gun control, I would love to see the server steering away from existing/future Federal laws/rulings and making issues that might affect the server a state level issue to boost participation in political roleplay as it'll affect this community's members IC lives.

• Insightful 1

• Content Count:  22

Option 2. Allow the ruling but make restrictions on how many can be purchased ICly. You can make OOC restrictions such as having a clean record for 1 month (GTA W it's 3 months for jails which is ridiculous imo). May issue is stupid and is in fact illegal. May issue will just result in everyone except CCW holders literally hating the licensing division because they'll see it as their friends get guns but they don't. I also don't like the fact that the licensing officer would have to decide upon themselves whether the reasoning for a CCW is valid or not. There is no actual reason to have a CCW other than self defense. It's the only reason you need one and nobody should be able to tell another person they don't need one if they are legally eligible to get one.

• Like 1

4DcWtjM.png