Live Update

How do you feel about Gun Control?

Brett

Gun Control  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Which option for Gun Control do you prefer?

• Option 1
    • Option 2
    • Option 3
    • Other (State opinion in reply)

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  181

1 hour ago, Biography said:
  • First offence - 3 months community ban 
  • Second offence - permanent ban
  • pretty self explanatory. This will be applied to rule breakers, as well as parties who harbor such individuals as well.

I'm of the opinion we should increase the severity of said punishments. I think it's really important to motivate players to behave fairly while also giving them the trust to access resources like this. 

What I propose:

• First offence - Six month community ban and permanent account ban from CCW resource for all parties involved
  • Second offence - Permanent community ban
  • Like 4

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  39

It is extremely stringent and difficult to buy a firearm in New York State. I own three legal firearms, those of which are all long guns/hunting rifles. These are a bit less restricted than handguns and do not require a permit, although an extensive background check and questionnaire that the buyer solely must fill out and complete, and this includes questions about your mental health history,(including actual medical documentations of mental illness, prescriptions, etc) usage of either medical or recreational cannabis. 

As for pistols, it's a whole other world. You can spend over a year just in the process of applying, paying fees, waiting for approvals, and most people spend hundreds of dollars and months of time and still end up with a denied status at the end of the road. You have to have what in their eyes would be a valid reason as to why you would want to own a handgun, and they have the discretion to deny you for any reason they deem fit. You could just appear or look the wrong way to them and they will deny you. And this is only to have the PERMIT to purchase and own it. Another thing is that within the five boroughs you are not likely to find a gun store. All of the people who own guns in NYS are residents that live in upstate New York. That is where most of the gun ownership is comprised, not in the five boroughs. You do not see people walking around carrying guns like that here.

My main point is that just because they ruled it constitutional to carry CCW in NY without a permit doesn't mean that acquiring the actual handgun itself is any easier.

• Insightful 1

The Lucchese Crime Family

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  22

5 hours ago, Borgata said:

You can spend over a year just in the process of applying, paying fees, waiting for approvals, and most people spend hundreds of dollars and months of time and still end up with a denied status at the end of the road. You have to have what in their eyes would be a valid reason as to why you would want to own a handgun, and they have the discretion to deny you for any reason they deem fit. You could just appear or look the wrong way to them and they will deny you. And this is only to have the PERMIT to purchase and own it. Another thing is that within the five boroughs you are not likely to find a gun store. All of the people who own guns in NYS are residents that live in upstate New York. That is where most of the gun ownership is comprised, not in the five boroughs. You do not see people walking around carrying guns like that here.

My main point is that just because they ruled it constitutional to carry CCW in NY without a permit doesn't mean that acquiring the actual handgun itself is any easier.

And now because of that ruling, they cannot deny you for any reason they see fit, unless of course you do not meet the legal requirements such as having a criminal background, not passing a mental health evaluation or anything else of that nature. The Supreme Court affirms the position that you are not required to give a reason to apply for such permits and exercise your constitutional right. Also, there are gun stores within the five boroughs, I happen to live near one however the don't look like your typical gun store. For instance, there is one in Jamaica, Queens NY under a train station that has no window in front, no signage just a building with a grey steel door. 

Also, they did not rule it constitutional to carry a CCW in NY without a permit, a permit is still required. They made it unconstitutional for laws to have a "may issue" clause, again meaning you do not have to provide a reason for applying for said permit.

As stated in my previous posts, the ruling should be upheld in character with very few OOC restrictions such as

• 1-2 guns purchasable per month (script restricted)
  • Relatively clean admin record for at least 30 days
  • At least 40 hours of in-game playtime per character

In character restrictions should be something along the lines of

• 21 years or older
  • Clean criminal record (excludes misdemeanor crimes that do not include stalking, sexual harassment/assault, theft/shop lifting & all violent misdemeanors)
  • No history of mental illness
  • No history of illegal drug use (marijuana excluded)
  • Must attend police department special training and receive firearms training certification
  • Like 1

4DcWtjM.png

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  39

Apologies for some of the inaccuracies. That was just my first hand experience of those things but it's seemingly different now. 

• Content Count:  30

Things get problematic when you have a higher ratio of civilians carrying CCW to civilians than we would expect IRL. Especially for criminal RPers. Game mechanics make it easy for players to carry them whenever they want and in whatever clothing they're wearing. And from what I've seen on W, they often get used unrealistically. Such as having random civilian vigilantes deciding to join shootouts.

I think whatever strategy is taken, there shouldn't be too many CCWs being issued. 

• Content Count:  3

5 hours ago, deputy sheriff generalist said:

And from what I've seen on W, they often get used unrealistically. Such as having random civilian vigilantes deciding to join shootouts.

All issues originating from the lack of enforcement on W. This wouldn't be as much of a problem if people got punished properly, whether its a vigilante or whatever.

I personally agree with Option 1, but with additions suggested by @Biography and @afrosamurai with regards to punishments and additional requirements.

• Brett unpinned this topic

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  87

Feel free to rebut my points. First and foremost, an unfiltered legal gun market is a horrible idea because one, as a distributor/supplier whatever terminology you decide to use has a social obligation to know who they're selling to and to ensure the quality of people whom they are selling to are not noobs and DMers. By having a legal sale of firearms you are basically giving access to potential troll individuals and factions to have an untapped filter towards weaponry. Two, the gun market is vital to illegal rpers, stripping of the process of making connections and working diligently to find a plug is something that is worthwhile, to have the honor of being one of the few privileged individuals to be a gun plug is something that holds a lot of weight. At the end of the day a flood of guns and potentially drugs basically kills the illegal side of rp. In a perfect world most illegal rpers wouldn't rely on guns and drugs to carry their roleplay. With the inclusion of the IRRS System (that I wrote) players can come up with unique ways to make money, but we don't live in a perfect world, players having easy access to both of those makes the game boring. When I was getting sixty guns a month for gun supplier at some point it became boring on GTA W, because I had everything I needed and wanted. It's a redundant process, you strip away the hunger for players to want to work to establish connections and achieve a constant, consistent flow of hardware and drugs you're stripping illegal rp. 

To clarify I don’t have a problem with civilians having access to 1-2 firearms per month, that’s what GTA W does and it’s a great system. Why fix something or attempt to be “unique” if a tried and true method works. I do have a problem with illegal rpers having easy access to firearms and I hope I explained why.

• Content Count:  24

In NYC gun laws are strict, and so are the requirements for acquiring said gun. So just make it extremely difficult to fulfill the requirements of getting a legal firearm. 

IE: No prior arrests, or adding things like proof of income, and where they live or what the reason they're acquiring the gun for.

The sad truth of the matter is that: Criminals obtain guns far more easier than civilians in NYC. Yeah, the Supreme Court just overturned shit, but we're not seeing the effects of that anytime soon. 

Best option would be Option 2. 

• Content Count:  15

I hope "shall issue" remains true to life, and not an OOC "may issue"

Meaning if my character is a criminal but only has non violent misdemeanors, they can get legal access, bc that's how it is IRL.

Only felons, domestic abusers, and illegal substance users are restricted. However the current president's child is a crackhead and bought multiple firearms, so they're clearly not following the idea illegal substance users are to be restricted in the real world.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  111

When on the topic of gun control, I more often than not, refer to Jim Jeffries’ opinion on the subject:

Paul Proietti