Live Update

Advanced Roleplaying Guide

Slipky

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  40

Very well written.

One thing I specifically like about it is your emphasis on the misuse of /do. I am a big advocate of the "show, don't tell" technique and believe that questions should be answered through actions or words, not through a synopsis. Historically it's been used by players to find out information or to get answers for something that their characters generally haven't picked up on. People shouldn't be asking for my height, age, race or appearance in /do, they should be analyzing my emotes and picking up on the characterizations. But I also understand that for this to be effective, the opposing player's emotes must be equally as descriptive.

And that's that.

• Followers:  36
  • Content Count:  2,025

I agree with the premise of /do but as also stated by Tyrant, sometimes you must do it because the opposite party won't disclose any info whatsoever, either via /me or any other method such as descriptions, /ame etc. 

/do is also useful for law enforcement and medical encounters because often times, you need answers to questions which people aren't usually aware of. I've used /do so many times during police interviews because it was literally the only way to get some behavioral information on behalf of the suspect/victim/witness.

4DcWtjM.png

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  189

On 7/30/2021 at 8:26 PM, Biography said:

I agree with the premise of /do but as also stated by Tyrant, sometimes you must do it because the opposite party won't disclose any info whatsoever, either via /me or any other method such as descriptions, /ame etc. 

/do is also useful for law enforcement and medical encounters because often times, you need answers to questions which people aren't usually aware of. I've used /do so many times during police interviews because it was literally the only way to get some behavioral information on behalf of the suspect/victim/witness.

I didn't mean /do is completely unnecessary, no. It has it's usage - Law enforcement use it a lot, medical RP too.

All I was suggesting is to use common sense when doing /do, because doing RP of something that takes time and do "/do 1/3", then "/do 2/3" and so on is terrible. It could've been way better with a few good /me lines.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

• Content Count:  3

Good job! Very helpful for everyone

• Content Count:  3

On 6/9/2021 at 6:23 PM, Slipky said:

building a character from scratch and watching him grow and evolve,

Gotta be honest, this is one of things I like to do that makes me feel satisfied when I start the journey of my character. 
Even though some people I know claimed that "It's boring and a waste of time to RP a character from scratch", but no! It's really enjoyable, folks! 

Thanks for the guide, it's always been nice to see people showing support! 🙂

• Like 1

"Power Is Only Given To Those Who Are Willing To Lower Themselves To Pick It Up."

• Content Count:  183

On 6/9/2021 at 7:23 PM, Slipky said:
  1. Bad example: Frank Necchi reaches into his pocket, withdrawing a lighter, he brings it to the cigarette and lights it before sticking it in his mouth.
    Good example: Frank Necchi strikes up a Winston.
    Good example with extra details: Frank Necchi strikes up a Winston. He sports a flashy engraved lighter.

Your bad example is not really bad, it matters a lot in which situation you use this type of /me. I'm a fan of the short concise /me's you listed under good examples, but if you're doing a more detailed role-play that you want to present as a story you need some more detailed me's so you don't do 30 lines of /me. Short concise /me's are great in interactions with others to avoid power gaming, but if you're doing a complex role-play like making meth it's prettier to have long detailed /me's.

• Like 2

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  189

15 hours ago, Conviction said:

Your bad example is not really bad, it matters a lot in which situation you use this type of /me. I'm a fan of the short concise /me's you listed under good examples, but if you're doing a more detailed role-play that you want to present as a story you need some more detailed me's so you don't do 30 lines of /me. Short concise /me's are great in interactions with others to avoid power gaming, but if you're doing a complex role-play like making meth it's prettier to have long detailed /me's.

All in the little details and the type of RP there. But I completely agree.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  345

Good guide. I think this will be very helpful for people who are roleplaying for the first time, and people who may just want a refresher. Good work. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4DcWtjM.png

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  258

I do agree about some people going the extra mile just to describe a small action such as smoking, I get that you want to flex your vocabulary but at least put that effort into something that requires putting in the details you're putting into the act of drinking water or smoking

• Like 2