Live Update

How do you feel about Gun Control?

Brett

Gun Control  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Which option for Gun Control do you prefer?

• Option 1
    • Option 2
    • Option 3
    • Other (State opinion in reply)

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  183

Option one sounds good in theory but in practice it won't work very well without massive cases of DM. Imagine a server where anyone can get a weapon pretty easily, even if it is very realistic it is not practical for the community.

Option two seems like the perfect option because not all civilians have a gun in reality even if it is possible. Limiting things with option two somewhat ensures that the system is not abused, but keeps things very realistic.

• Content Count:  192

Having a realistic server with as few ooc restrictions as possible is cool and everything but let's not forget that it's still a game. I don't think it's a good idea to just give out weapons that easily and rely on players behavior that everything will be fine.

There's definitely a need of some ooc restrictions here. That or option 3.

• Content Count:  98

Guns are not legal in New York, I really don't want to see this happen. I really, really, don't want to see this happen.

Why the fuck does a civilian need a weapon for any IC or OOC reason? If they want to shoot guns, they can make a gang-affiliated criminal character.

CCW's are fucking stupid, especially in Liberty City/New York.

It doesn't make sense by any means.

I really hope a correct decision is made about this, and if it's left up to the community to vote on such a pressing matter, you guys really need to re-evaluate the consistency in which you make decisions or relay them off into a community vote.

• Haha 1
  • Dislike 2

• Content Count:  29

1 hour ago, Pluto said:

Guns are not legal in New York, I really don't want to see this happen. I really, really, don't want to see this happen.

Why the fuck does a civilian need a weapon for any IC or OOC reason? If they want to shoot guns, they can make a gang-affiliated criminal character.

I really hope a correct decision is made about this, and if it's left up to the community to vote on such a pressing matter, you guys really need to re-evaluate the consistency in which you make decisions or relay them off into a community vote.

Guns are legal in New York. I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Second... the civilians "needing" something versus having the right to own something are two separate arguments entirely. CCW's are not "fucking stupid". They exist in New York and they exist in the United States. They exist for a number of different reasons, including self protection.

If you have a legitimate argument about why CCW's should be limited and "may issue" as the poll asks, I'm sure that we would all benefit from hearing your point of view.  

Lastly, giving this to the community to vote on is something that should be greatly admired. Asking the community how we feel about certain things isn't something that should be looked down on or "reevaluated". It's our server and things should run the way the majority of us in this community think it should. The entire reason this server exists is for it to be largely community ran and because the majority of us are sick and tired of admins who have no clue about anything telling us how to RP without any input from us. 

• Like 1

• Content Count:  1

1 hour ago, Pluto said:

Based take. Saying guns are illegal in the USA, while also saying that there's no reason why civilians should own guns. I appreciate you feeling so empowered to share your opinion and your confidence in spouting it out.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  715

To all of our friends outside the US: https://constitution.congress.gov/constitution/amendment-2/

But today, states have been making it more difficult to aquire weapons and it's a hot button issue with school schootings. The supreme court recently made a ruling that a citizen does not need reason to carry a weapon and states that require a justification to carry one (security jobs, CCW etc.) are no longer required.

• Love 1

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  746

1 hour ago, Pluto said:

Guns are not legal in New York, I really don't want to see this happen. I really, really, don't want to see this happen. Why the fuck does a civilian need a weapon for any IC or OOC reason? 

Guess it's time to cross the Delaware again...

leutze-672x372.png

1776 will commence again...

In all serious though, this post is just wildly incorrect in terms of a factual basis on US constitutional law, and demonstrates a misunderstanding of what exactly is being argued or requested. I request you re-read the entire post, and probably the 2nd Amendment of the US Constitution, along with maybe some Supreme Court case-law on the 2nd Amendment, and possibly the American Revolutionary War. 

• Haha 2

• Content Count:  11

A wise man once said, Stalin took the guns, Mao took the guns, Castro took the gun, Chavez took the guns, and I'm here to tell you '1776 WILL COMMENCE AGAIN' if you try and take our guns. 

on a serious note though, it has become hard to get gun permits in states nowadays as a result of constant school shootings. The supreme court recently made a ruling that a citizen does not need reason to carry a weapon and states that require a justification to carry one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

garand-thumb-shooting.gif

• Content Count:  183

2 hours ago, Pluto said:

Let's leave aside for the moment the reality-related things brought up by the other players. Are you aware that because of the small number of players in the game universe compared to reality, crime is abnormally high? And in a universe where crime is present at a high level, it makes sense that citizens would want to purchase a weapon for self-defense. In a universe where there are a lot of criminals and thugs roaming the streets who can be quite aggressive, it makes a lot of sense for a civilian to have a gun. If civilians are not offered weapons, then you are creating an unfair advantage for illegal faction players who can act against civilians without repercussions.

• Content Count:  44

13 hours ago, Copacetic said:

I think you're being extremely unfair. It is perfectly reasonable for server admins to contemplate the possible need of placing OOC restrictions on guns, as guns will have a huge impact on RP. Just because the United States has a gun problem in real life, doesn't mean that we have to allow this server to become a non-rp fear, vigilante shooting gallery. OOCly restricting guns is something that very well could be required in order to prevent this server from becoming a DM server or the modern equivalent of the Wild West. Not one thing proposed here has even the most remote implication that admins are attempting to OOCly stop RP or go back on the promises this server has made.  In fact, quite the opposite. A Lead Admin posted a forum poll ASKING the community what they thought about gun rules and laws that will impact all of us, so I don't exactly see why you're sighing and feeling "incredibly disappointed". 

By the way, I voted for option 1. I'm also an American Police Officer and deal with the reality of firearms being an issue on a daily basis. I still don't think that the admins are going back on promises they made about this community being different or attempting to OOCly restrict how we RP. 

There's nothing to argue here. We just disagree on what we want out of a roleplay server.

I want a fun, realistic, immersive and gritty portrayal, and you want fun, fair, stress-free escapism.

Neither is wrong, they're just different.