Live Update

Vespucci University Discussion Thread.

Neo

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  230

1 hour ago, Gatsbeh said:

The rules you're planning seem solid. The one thing I will say is on the topic of school shootings. Now I'm not against this at all, what I will say is when the Events Team are up and running, I think it should be something they set up IF YOU ALL WANT IT. It shouldn't be an out to the public thing to be able to do. But if you're wanting to have a mass event. It's definitely something which would bring the server together to create a huge roleplay scenario. 

There are pros and cons against it so would be something you need to properly sit down on and think through.

It’s something i’m rather reluctant to allow tbh, the only instance i’d even consider it is it a faction member (and faction member only) had a very, very long history of roleplaying in a very high quality manner the mental decline of their character and shows very good reasoning for such a crime to occur.

Highly unlikely i’ll ever want something like this to happen, but i’m not entirely closed off to the idea.

4DcWtjM.png.b68d30363303ce8b40ecf51c4326fb6d.png

Alcohol doesn't solve any problems but then again neither does milk.

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  164

5 hours ago, Gatsbeh said:

The rules you're planning seem solid. The one thing I will say is on the topic of school shootings. Now I'm not against this at all, what I will say is when the Events Team are up and running, I think it should be something they set up IF YOU ALL WANT IT. It shouldn't be an out to the public thing to be able to do. But if you're wanting to have a mass event. It's definitely something which would bring the server together to create a huge roleplay scenario. 

There are pros and cons against it so would be something you need to properly sit down on and think through.

On 8/17/2022 at 1:43 AM, Gambler said:

1- Felonies
They can stay IC accompanied by the server rules.

2- Schoo Shootings.
School shootings do happen but to my knowledge tho', Columbia university isn't known for regular school shootings. Nonetheless, what comes after a school shooting, is a high alert period, an increase in prevention measures, and all that jazz. So maybe we could put a  cooldown in a school shooting, meaning they can happen only once in a while. We can do that by declaring the area Greenzone for "X" amount of time after one shooting happens. 

3-Portrayal
Here I think it's good to start with a hefty tuition fee. Taking into consideration that the server will be fresh, those that will invest in joining the university will show where their priorities stand. At least I would think that if their priorities are to join the university this early, their intention is good, and will develop a proper character. Ivy league is not cheap anyway.
A quick google search  shows these numbers for 2019-2020 Columbia University:

• Tuition and fees: $65,524
  • New student fees: $615
  • Room and board: $16,156
  • Books and personal: $3,672
  • Total cost of attendance: $85,967

So yeah, everyone should also roleplay being self-conscious about the investment they're making. As Neo said, some childish behavior, frats and sororities pranks should be welcomed. 

4. Inter-faction Roleplay

It would be cool for not only LCFD, but any legal business to offer internships for students. Medical internships, for medical students, journalism internships from whatever News company Liberty City has, internships for business students offered from corporates, and the list goes on but you get the idea. Having a degree should not be abused as an IC qualification that should land you any job you want. For the students to be in touch with other factions/businesses during their studies should be essential if they want to carry on with their character development.

5. Grades and Qualifications

Speaking from experience as someone who roleplayed being a Filmmaking professor, my class had the most attendance of all as I made the classes practical rather than theoretical.
In the defense of other areas of studies, filmmaking school is more fun IRL as well, but that doesn't change the fact having practical methods makes the classes more engaging and fun. I'd like to say tho', that some people join the faction to roleplay that student lifestyle and some will use it to catapult themselves with good character development. I think either should be facilitated. Those who never want to graduate can roleplay 1:1 years in order to be part of the school, and those who want to use it as a  way of character development should be forced to be part of the faction for a set minimum amount of time. As for grades, I think that will always be a waste of time.

If something happens in real life doesn't mean it has to happen in roleplay. School shooting has to be banned. No workarounds

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  734

7 hours ago, Gatsbeh said:

Here's my opinion on this matter.

In terms of situations like these, there are two probable outcomes, let's dive into them.

1) The player kills a bunch of innocent Teachers and Students, and gets killed by the Police (In fact, a CK should be forced on the shooter in this matter).
2) The player kills a bunch of innocent Teachers and Students, and somehow is detained by the Police.

Now, option one just ruins the roleplay and immersion for everyone. Although school shootings are becoming more frequent or mainstream in American culture, the chances of it happening at your school are very slim. On top of that, I don't see much benefit for any party, as the students get PK'ed, and the shooter gets CK'ed. Sure, it would provide some news, but other than that, it really serves no benefit but to ruin everyone's fun. I'd rather keep the University a safe space (I'd even advocate it to be a Crime Free Zone) just with the amount of Legal RP opportunities that it welcomes (aside from Renegade Faction intertwining with VU Renegades that is; but that discussion is to be had on another day). 

Option two does the exact same as option one but now the character is imprisoned. From there, the character will either Roleplay in prison for some time and get bored, or just namechange right away. Really serves 0 benefit for the longevity of Roleplaying a character. People go and shoot up places all the time in world, and merely just namechange once they're inside or delete the character.

To me, shoot shootings don't really offer the chance to bring good quality roleplay in LCRP. It would just be a short burst of meaningless killings that result in everything being forgotten in a week. For me, it's a no.

• Like 2

4DcWtjM.png.3988786eb78011f1eb6b7ead2b44ac73.png

signature.thumb.png.69c9332f99f8dafd469733869e40e255.png.acf9cc15a85165af04a866247283926c.png

• Content Count:  35

2 hours ago, bncal said:

If something happens in real life doesn't mean it has to happen in roleplay. School shooting has to be banned. No workarounds

Oh no don't get me wrong. I'm not vouching for them. I'm just saying that if we decide to not bann them, might aswell roleplay them properly.

• Like 1

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  230

24 minutes ago, Geo said:

Here's my opinion on this matter.

In terms of situations like these, there are two probable outcomes, let's dive into them.

1) The player kills a bunch of innocent Teachers and Students, and gets killed by the Police (In fact, a CK should be forced on the shooter in this matter).
2) The player kills a bunch of innocent Teachers and Students, and somehow is detained by the Police.

Now, option one just ruins the roleplay and immersion for everyone. Although school shootings are becoming more frequent or mainstream in American culture, the chances of it happening at your school are very slim. On top of that, I don't see much benefit for any party, as the students get PK'ed, and the shooter gets CK'ed. Sure, it would provide some news, but other than that, it really serves no benefit but to ruin everyone's fun. I'd rather keep the University a safe space (I'd even advocate it to be a Crime Free Zone) just with the amount of Legal RP opportunities that it welcomes (aside from Renegade Faction intertwining with VU Renegades that is; but that discussion is to be had on another day). 

Option two does the exact same as option one but now the character is imprisoned. From there, the character will either Roleplay in prison for some time and get bored, or just namechange right away. Really serves 0 benefit for the longevity of Roleplaying a character. People go and shoot up places all the time in world, and merely just namechange once they're inside or delete the character.

To me, shoot shootings don't really offer the chance to bring good quality roleplay in LCRP. It would just be a short burst of meaningless killings that result in everything being forgotten in a week. For me, it's a no.

I have to agree here, aside from the university being a crime free zone. This is a university after all. I fully expect minor drug use, the basketball team / fraternity / other (?) maybe roughing people up once in a while, etc etc etc. The beauty of university is, its SOMEWHAT legally gray. I have no plans to blanket ban anything, though my opinion on school shootings in particular IS leaning that way.

4DcWtjM.png.b68d30363303ce8b40ecf51c4326fb6d.png

Alcohol doesn't solve any problems but then again neither does milk.

• Content Count:  105

8 hours ago, LackingAName said:

I'm gonna keep it a 100 bucks with you. I am not waiting on something like this to happen or people wanting to replicate school shootings.

There are some things we should totally stay away from. I think that this is one of them.

You're completely right, it's something I'd definitely not want happening, just saying IF it was to happen it'd need to be the higher ups who determine what and how. 

• Like 1

ayMTeWQ.png

PBEHlb0.png