Live Update

Opinions on shooting from a car as a driver

SpeedOfThought

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  345

I was just curious on what some of your guys views are on shooting a gun out of a car while you're driving. Should it be allowed? Should it not be allowed? I ask this because I have seen some servers just comply disallow this, and players have even been ajailed or banned for doing so, however it isn't completely unrealistic. There are several videos on Youtube, for example, where cops shoot their guns out of their window all the time, from a fleeing suspect. (I won't post one in here just because some people might be uncomfortable with it.) My only concern is the accuracy that you have in real life, versus in GTA. While driving and shooting in GTA is very simple and easy to aim, in real life, it would be a whole different story. I'm sure your accuracy wouldn't be as good, and you would also have to be cautious of other people, or things you might hit - at least if you're RPing as a cop. 

Ultimately, I was just curious on some of your thoughts on this, and if you think it should or should not be allowed. 

4DcWtjM.png

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  715

I've never put much thought to it, rather thought about it at all so here are my thought off the top of the dome:

Driving and shooting if I had to do it would really require a lot of brain power: steering, gas, brake, looking where you want to drive, avoiding obstacles, aiming your weapon, avoiding objects in your car so you don't shoot them, and panic since you would most likely be stressed out if you are shooting. It seems like a lot to do all at once and in my mind, if I were a criminal trying to shoot and drive, it wouldn't even come to mind and just focus on escaping.

Now in a video game we have obvious advantages we wouldn't IRL; using a reticle, steady hand... you get the picture. If I were to be tasked with creating a set of rules ore guidelines surrounding this topic and how to best tackle the issue of nerfing this advantage (being in a video game) I would probably do the following.

1. Disable steering at high speeds while aimed since you aren't in a third person view IRL, or force first person view while aiming.
  2. Disable steering while aiming with weapons that would realistically require 2 hands such as an UZI or other automatic weapons.
  3. Permit drive-by's if done at slow speeds and easily accessible angles (i.e. roughly 70 degree angle out the left side of the car).

These are just a few but over all opinion on the matter, I'm not sure. I havn't seen or heard much controversy about it so I can't properly understand all the pro's and con's. But seeing that it is an issue in other communities, it may be wise to follow suit.

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  60

Honestly I would like a simple solution. Driver shouldn't be allowed to shoot, unless the car is stationary. The passengers should be allowed to shoot as if people do realistically. To make this easy to manage I would recommend that the drive-by's be recorded as evidence of proper execution. 

• Like 2

Untitled-1.png

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  467

5 hours ago, Nekvin said:

Honestly I would like a simple solution. Driver shouldn't be allowed to shoot, unless the car is stationary. The passengers should be allowed to shoot as if people do realistically. To make this easy to manage I would recommend that the drive-by's be recorded as evidence of proper execution. 

I'm leaning towards this side.

Drivers shouldn't be the ones to up the gun when they are supposed to steer the vehicle. It's a different story when the vehicle is stationary or going at very slow speeds but when you are actively being chased or driving around? no thanks.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

test.png.876e858da6624ad25c2b31c8126aeea7.png

signature.thumb.png.69c9332f99f8dafd469733869e40e255.png.acf9cc15a85165af04a866247283926c.png

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  30

I say no if the vehicle is travelling >15 mph. Otherwise, fair game.

• Content Count:  64

On 1/9/2022 at 4:22 PM, Crunchy said:
  1. force first person view while aiming.

This is brilliant. At very least (if possible of course) disable aiming unless you're in first person view.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  47

On 1/9/2022 at 1:42 PM, Nekvin said:

How about if you're shooting infront like the forward 180 degrees wouldn't be too hard to discharge a firearm? 

I would agree that firing behind you would take some real skill or the opposite sheer luck to fire accurately towards a target. 

• Content Count:  60

2 hours ago, Peak. said:

How about if you're shooting infront like the forward 180 degrees wouldn't be too hard to discharge a firearm? 

I would agree that firing behind you would take some real skill or the opposite sheer luck to fire accurately towards a target. 

I mean usually when doing a drive by you poke the gun barrel out of the window and if you have a gunman in the front passenger seat, then you as the driver need to lean back so that he can shoot and so that you can shoot your pistol for example. 

Untitled-1.png

• 3 weeks later...

• Content Count:  205

I haven't put much thought into this specifically, but yes it would be difficult to perform. There should be limitations on this, maybe not a script per se, but something in the rules about it. Obviously, a script would ensure it could not be done if someone is driving fast or cutting off certain angles that deem it unrealistic.

• 1 month later...

• Content Count:  160

On 1/9/2022 at 3:22 AM, Crunchy said:

Driving and shooting if I had to do it would really require a lot of brain power

I disagree. Driving in and of itself takes very little brainpower at all.

How many times have you been in the car, winning an imaginary argument and suddenly it's been 10 minutes and your at your destination?

If you've been driving for a while, gas, brakes and avoiding obstacles becomes muscle memory.

Now, to be sure, I don't think anyone is gonna be able to do some GTA level shit like sniping a helicopter out of the sky while drifting down the mountains, but simple drive-by scenarios are very much in the realm of possibility.

Ui0FjxE.png

I8Khy8P.png

Remmy

Nevaeh Knight - Executive Editor and Journalist for the Liberty Tree. Host of The Knight Watch podcast.

• Brett locked this topic