Live Update

The Media and You!

Jorgensen

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  844

So with the publication of the Weazel5 faction thread which can be found;

I thought fitting to make a forum thread to discussion the media roleplay aspect of LCRP, we want to put a lot of how Weazel interacts with the community in your hands. So, we're asking you. What are your opinions of media factions in the past? What do you think of our aims for Weazel? What do you feel we could be doing which we aren't planning at the minute? If you've wanted to be involved in the media scene what did you felt was barriers to that? etc.

I'm gonna keep this thread open for the future so people can also post feedback to myself and Velja. Please give us feedback when the server opens and you've seen our roleplay. But, also feel free to ask questions!

• Like 1

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  60

Please try to make the news reports similar to the actual weazel news. They are fun to watch and worth wasting your time. Just please🙏

Basically I would love to see a broadcast that isn't boring. 

• Like 1

Untitled-1.png

10 minutes ago, Nekvin said:

Please try to make the news reports similar to the actual weazel news. They are fun to watch and worth wasting your time. Just please🙏

Basically I would love to see a broadcast that isn't boring. 

We wanna make it interesting. But, obviously want to be informative about things that are going on in Liberty City to be able to build up on the lore of the server. But, we'll always appreciate feedback on our content. 🙂

• Like 3

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  64

I'd like to see news expanded more than other servers, where most reporters seem almost like the same personality.

I'd like to see a creepy, pest-like tabloid writer publishing almost satirical posts that borders of a lawsuit.

I'd like to see a sports reporter that has strong opinions about real life sport, as well as maybe encouraging and supporting any player-run sports, and actively promotes that side of things. I believe I'm yet to see a sports reporter in general on the RP servers I've played. I'm hoping that the right person could try figure a way to use this as an avenue to try include groups and factions within the server that historically aren't super active w/ media factions eg: gangs and basketball. I know it isn't exactly within the purview of a media faction but maybe encourage a league of sorts, such as social ice hockey where factions like PD, FD can front a team.

• Like 2

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  177

1 hour ago, Adam said:

I'd like to see news expanded more than other servers, where most reporters seem almost like the same personality.

I'd like to see a creepy, pest-like tabloid writer publishing almost satirical posts that borders of a lawsuit.

I'd like to see a sports reporter that has strong opinions about real life sport, as well as maybe encouraging and supporting any player-run sports, and actively promotes that side of things. I believe I'm yet to see a sports reporter in general on the RP servers I've played. I'm hoping that the right person could try figure a way to use this as an avenue to try include groups and factions within the server that historically aren't super active w/ media factions eg: gangs and basketball. I know it isn't exactly within the purview of a media faction but maybe encourage a league of sorts, such as social ice hockey where factions like PD, FD can front a team.

Oh completely agreed on this one.

I mean news media could cover politics/sports/crime/general news which could actively promote illegal and legal initiatives, helping people to be kept up to date.
Hell, news media always had some good potential (considering they could act as storytelling factor as well).

• Like 1

74318e645aa009ed3bb29cd5cc66f658.gif

• Content Count:  64

45 minutes ago, Schmichael said:

Since you can’t have reporters everywhere all the time, you should probably have some kind of OOC-ish system where people can upload what’s happened and pictures for you to start an IC topic on. It might be seen as metagamey though.

For example: one MC burns down another MC’s clubhouse, one might send you OOC pictures that a ‘passerby’ might’ve taken and uploaded to Facebook/Twitter/etc. That way players and factions can show off their exploits ICly in a realistic manner.

It’d be the job of Weazel News reporters to differentiate between the facts and opinions of these reports.

I think that's an avenue that could increase media RP without having to rely on NPC's or any real OOC system(s), and like you mentioned I think it would just start too many complaints of MG. Using the same example: Instead of reporting on a clubhouse that burnt down - informed by an NPC, rather report a well-researched investigative journalist piece of a 'looming MC war'.

1. A player gives a tip to Weazel (perhaps for 'good scoops' or reliable information that pans out, cash rewards can be considered - would further incentivize player involvement).

2. A big wig in Weazel then selects a journalist to do the investigation - this would hopefully incentivize journalists, 'competing' for a big story.

3. Journo gets picked and begins investigation. This would create a whole plethora of investigative RP and everything that accompanies it.

4. The story is then published.

From that, the MC may notice or get wind of the journalist and either leave them alone, go down the avenue of bribes, blackmail or threats, or use it as a catalyst to reign in the boys until the heat dies down. Similarly, the LCPD may get wind and either approach Weazel for whatever information they have, or if they believe it pertinent to a case of theirs they could involve the courts and try and subpoena the journalists data.

I just feel there is scope for in-depth RP, producing nice articles that reflect and involve more of the server than what's historically been the case.

3 hours ago, Schmichael said:

Since you can’t have reporters everywhere all the time, you should probably have some kind of OOC-ish system where people can upload what’s happened and pictures for you to start an IC topic on. It might be seen as metagamey though.

For example: one MC burns down another MC’s clubhouse, one might send you OOC pictures that a ‘passerby’ might’ve taken and uploaded to Facebook/Twitter/etc. That way players and factions can show off their exploits ICly in a realistic manner.

It’d be the job of Weazel News reporters to differentiate between the facts and opinions of these reports.

I feel like - an OOC system wouldn't be the way to go. In someway I'd like to work with the Events and Management team to bring articles that aren't exactly linked to in game goings on to help flesh out the LCRP lore. But, I'd mainly want to keep that to a bare minimum so we can focus more on quality content of thing that are indeed going on in game. This is partly why, I'm in the process of planning to reach out to the different legal factions - FD, PD, LCCD, GOV, DAO etc to work out how we can work together to further interact on an in character level as well as work together on projects such as; Recruitment, projects like - Videos and such. I, and I sure I can speak for everyone here. Want LCRP's news faction to be more than just news reports - I've spoken to Bio about branching into the Entertainment industry because the question stands What would be airing on Weazel when the news isn't live?

I do also want to work with members of the community - Civilians. Civilian roleplay is where news roleplay stems from. At the end of the day, we're all civilians ourselves, we aren't Firefighters, Police Officers, Correctional Staff, Government workers. We're civilians. It's our job to invest into the pool of Civilian roleplay and that's why I plan to involve Weazel news in the Liberty City economy and local businesses.

7 hours ago, Adam said:

I'm doing a lot of research into news stations in real life, part of the reason I put interest forward in helping Velja with the news faction was because I have yet to see a news faction on GTA Roleplay servers that I entirely like and honestly, I love media roleplay. That's why I'm trying to bring something new to the table, it's why we have amazing individuals such as @Geo to bring something new to media roleplay. I'm yet to find ideas for the sports type of roleplay I want to include - This reply gives me a proper base to work from. I just want to make sure its executed properly and it's of quality I'm and I'm sure you guys - are happy with. 

6 hours ago, Effect said:

Oh completely agreed on this one.

I mean news media could cover politics/sports/crime/general news which could actively promote illegal and legal initiatives, helping people to be kept up to date.
Hell, news media always had some good potential (considering they could act as storytelling factor as well).

I think my response to Schmichael covers what I wanted to say in regards to this. But, If you have any ideas. Obviously I'm all ears.

• Thanks 1

• Content Count:  42

7 hours ago, Schmichael said:

Where does this stop? You can't have one rule for factions and one rule for civilians. This implies that there is an OOC population. Which is all well and dandy but who says what evidence this passerby has? I get what you're saying but it's not feasible in my opinion.

There should not be any restrictions on who can post a news article. Anyone should be able to as is IRL. People can chose who to trust and who to not. People forming their own media companies should be allowed and encouraged.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, sparky said:

Where does this stop? You can't have one rule for factions and one rule for civilians. This implies that there is an OOC population. Which is all well and dandy but who says what evidence this passerby has? I get what you're saying but it's not feasible in my opinion.

There should not be any restrictions on who can post a news article. Anyone should be able to as is IRL. People can chose who to trust and who to not. People forming their own media companies should be allowed and encouraged.

I don't think media factions are being restricted in terms of who can make one and who can't. I totally agree with the OOC information point you made because it'd be unfair on those who it would impact negatively. Generally, I wouldn't be against it as roleplay as someone else mentioned doing anonymous tips for monetary gain or something out of the news company/faction as long as it made sense for their character development.

• Followers:  36
  • Content Count:  2,025

1 hour ago, sparky said:

If you read the latest announcement I made, you will see that no player is restricted from creating their own news agency/newspaper and no player is restricted from posting any news articles. 

• Love 1

4DcWtjM.png

• Brett locked this topic